Friday, December 9, 2011

Western Civilization Update/Title Changes to World Civilization

At the December 6 department meeting two important proposals were passed.  After intense deliberation that has taken place since September, and after consulting adjunct faculty through the ANGEL Discipline Review Discussion Board and polling data collected on this blog, the department voted to discontinue offering the History of Western Civilization I and II.  In addition, it was voted that the History of World Civilization I and the History of World Civilization II now be called World History I and World History II.

Please bear in mind that these changes will take time to implement.  In the case of Western Civilization, students who are taking this sequence will be informed that the department is phasing it out and that they will need to complete it within a set amount of time (I will consider the timeline in consultation with Liberal Studies Division Dean Maureen O'Neill).   I will need to present the title changes to the Liberal Studies Division and then to the Curriculum Committee.  I do not know when this particular change will appear in the college catalog and in the schedule.  I will keep everyone posted.

Many thanks to the full-time and adjunct faculty members who have assisted the Discipline Review team in making these two important decisions that will impact the department significantly.  

In regards to the Discipline Review Survey, I will email the results once the Discipline Review team has had the time to digest them, most likely after the beginning of the spring semester.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions @ LDAVIS@northshore.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment